[APD] Java Fern

I know that almost everybody has grown Java fern before.  Java Fern can grow
to be like 6-8inches right? How come mine always looks like a bunch of
little plants all growing on top of each other.  I mean they never get very
big but they all stay a very deep dark green and just keep reproducing more
little sprouts or shoots and growing them.  Does anyone have a clue or
suggestion I know that some of you are very smart people and the others are
even smarter.TIA

Thanks
Matt W.