Re: [APD] Crypt melt

Thomas Barr wrote:

>Generally poor nutrients(K+/Ca/Mg/NO3), low sub par CO2 levels
>encourage it. If you change lighting radically etc, they can rot
>some also, or if you never do water changes and then decide it's
>time, then they might rot.

<snip>

>If you maintain a decent stable environment, Crypts will seldom
>ever give you any issue and they are highly adaptable to many
>light levels, nutrients sources(It's a myth they "prefer"
>substrate feeding, they do just as well if not better with water
>column nutrient dosing, same for swords), high levels of trace
>metals(Fe and Cu etc).

Hi Tom,

Could you please clarify?  Is stable poor nutrients OK for these?  I
posted last month that my 38gal tank full of Crypts all melted completely
in a matter of a couple of days.  To the best of my knowledge the tank
conditions and my fertilization regime have been stable for several years
now (deep Fluorite substrate, Flourish, small amount of Equilibrium and
KH2PO4, all 3x week).  Constant drip (spray really) water change, big city water supply that
stays fairly constant.  The explosive growth phase for this tank was at
least two years ago (well, explosive in a relative sense as it's a low
light, no CO2, slow grow tank).  Didn't change the light, no new fish,
same fish food, etc.  Any idea what might have triggered the sudden
melt-down?

1. One too many leaves that pushed the demand past some critical nutrient
threshold?
2. Change in chlorine level in water supply?
3. Bulb dimness drifted past some critical threshold?
4. Temp change, it was a pretty hot summer and around the time of the melt
the temps moderated some?

I've been told they will grow back, and it looks like they are doing so,
but wondering if I can do anything to prevent melt-downs in the future.

Regards,
DJ