Re: [APD] Clear for Life Aquarium Problem

If you want to get really radical, consider the stuffs used
by woodworkers for highly polished surfaces. These include,
beside the car polishes, various abrasives, all the way
down to sheets the abbrasiveness is the equivalent of a
human finger (which I think is equaivalent to about 30,000
grit).

The stuff listed here:

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?offerings_id=11435\

and here

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-bin/5A71D412/mac/qryitems.mac/itemDisplay?lenSgDsc=5MICROMICRO%20MESH%20SHEETS-%20ALL%20SIZES&qryType=GRPSG

only goes to 12000 mesh, but if you hunt around you might
be able to find finer.

I'd as the tank manufacturer what size grit they used to
polish the tank so you have some idea of how fine you need
to go to get beyond visibility.

There's a very brief summary on grits (the inedible kind)
here:

http://www.stellafane.com/atm/atm_mirror_ref/atm_grit.htm#Polishing%20Compounds

Even with power tools, polishing takes a lot of patience
and elbow grease. My favorite comment about polishing is,
"After you are finished you will be able to look at the
surface and easily see yourself and you will look very
tired.

good luck,
sh
--- Jerry Baker <jerry at bakerweb_biz> wrote:

> S. Hieber wrote:
> > These polishes use fine abrasives to turn big scratches
> > into little ones that the eye cannot pick up. The finer
> you
> > go, the harder to see.
> >
> > You can work your way to jeweler's rouge but the finer
> car
> > polishes are usually adequate. Try Maguire's 82 and use
> > buff pad on an orbital sander. If you use a buff pad on
> > drill, you need to use a slow speed setting to avoid
> > friction-heat build up drying the polish medium before
> the
> > polish has had enough chance to to work the surface. If
> the
> > scratches are deep or wide, you can start out with a
> > coarser polish and work you way towards the finer
> stuff.
>
> I was using my orbital buffer that I use on the car. It's
> low speed
> enough to keep the danger of heat build-up pretty low. I
> haven't tried
> getting a finer polish. I need to get one that will allow
> inspection of
> a finish under full noon sun without visible swirls. If a
> polish can do
> that, it should be able to take care of my problem.
>
> --
> Jerry Baker

Coming Soon in November, the winners and all the other beautiful entries in the 6th Annual International Aquascaping Contest. Every continent is represented -- except Antarctica. Maybe next year Antarctica, too ;-)

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org