Re: [APD] Baloney Detection

Yes, it's more a hobby than a science so myths persist,
anecdotes abound, and hard rigorous scientific
investigation of hypoteses that don't commit the fallacy of
AFFIRMATION OF THE CONSEQUENT are rare, in fact, hard
rigorous investigation of hypotheses is of any sort is
rare. Try finding a well-stated hypothesis for
investigation -- even those are rare.

The hobby tends to run on, I-did-it-so-it-must-be-true.
Still, lots of anecdotes that corroborate experiences can
be helpful. Which is one reason that lists like APD, local
clubs, and conventions can be illuminating.

and in any event, one can still

have plants, have fun,
Scott H.
--- Jerry Baker <jerry at bakerweb_biz> wrote:

> S. Hieber wrote:
> > Yeah, nice work if you can get it. But there aren't
> many
> > refereed journals dealing with aquatic gardening.
>
> Ya. It's unfortunate. NASA does a lot of studies on
> aquatic vegetation
> for various uses though. Those get published in journals
> like Advanced
> Space Research.
>
> I was just left thinking of sometimes stumbling across a
> product that
> claims it will solve all of your problems. "Makes water
> changes a thing
> of the past, and all your plants will grow 2 feet a day
> and trim
> themselves" kinds of stuff.
>
> --
> Jerry Baker

Coming Soon in November, the winners and all the other beautiful entries in the 6th Annual International Aquascaping Contest. Every continent is represented -- except Antarctica. Maybe next year Antarctica, too ;-)

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org