Hi

>Thinking about it some more, adding O3 would be a good way to test the
>power of peroxides against algae. O3 is just another molecule with an
>extra O- radical attached to it (same as peroxide). The effects should
>be the same as long as molar concentrations are the same.
>Jerry Baker

We use O3 for algae control in a lake, it does not work well at all. Nor does it in aquariums and planted tanks. Reefers use to use it a lot. I never found it that great, a general biocide that cost lots$$$. Has the bleach like odor when you add too much.

You can try it and find out yourself.
Folks have in the past.............

Actually measuring and adding peroxide or percarbonate is a good way to to gauge and assess the impacts on algae, plants, fish , shrimp etc.
I've done this recently with weed control(sponge plants and Egeria) as well as a large O3 system for sago pond weed.
Does not work well at those scales.
Percarbonate is not registered in Ca either but I can do the research to see if it works well.
I can always add more I suppose. But then we start having non target issues like killing crayfish etc.

We can add more in a tank, but adding whole tank H2O2 is an issue and the plants and the fish/shrimp health needs addressed very carefully, folks have killed their entire tank doing H2O2 treatments.

Spot treatments are much safer and more popular.

But I think folks focusing on what grows plants rather than kills them will acheive much higher success rates, so add the tiny bubbles of CO2 all over.

I find no need for algae killers, I use bleach to clean equipment off, scrub pad and scissors.

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com