Re: [APD] Plexi lid vs. Glass

First surface reflections are almost the same from glass and plexi
(about 4% for each surface), but plexi does absorb less, particular of
the important red light. Glass can absorb up to 10-15% of that in 1/4"
thick panels. I have measured it. [Notice how green the edges look?
That's because most red has been absorbed and only blue-green propagates
the long way through it.]

Unfortunately, the warpage in plexi (acrylic) is not from lamp heat, but
from absorbing water and swelling. When that happens on one side, it
results in truly impressive bowing. [It also melts at very low
temperatures, so lamp heat isn't a minor issue if an end moves up
against a hot tube.]

There are other good glazing plastics, like Lexan (expen$ive) that do
not bow, but avoid plexi unless you are willing to cement on ribs to
resist the warping. Those will, of course block and scatter more light.
Check out polyester and polycarbonate.

You may find that "water-white" glass, the "Pyrex"-like stuff, is the
toughest and most economical material for covers. It is nearly as clear
as plexi and much more durable and cleanable(if unbroken). Ask your
local glass shop.

Wright

--
Wright Huntley - Rt. 001 Box K36, Bishop CA 93514 - whuntley at verizon_net - 760 872-3995

"...watching Mayor Nagin and Governor Blanco handle the New Orleans/ Louisiana debacle is like watching Moe and Curly trying to work a Rubik’s cube."
Doug Giles

http://www.self-gov.org/wspq.html