Re: [APD] Alternatives to watt/gallon rule

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 22:43:28 +0100, Jerry Baker <jerry at bakerweb_biz> wrote:

> I have often wondered about applying an infrared blocking film to a
> shield in extreme cases of MH lighting heating up a tank.

Probably a really, really bad idea BTW...
Firstly, the 'heat' that seems to come from a bulb may not just be infrared radiation - all radiation (including visible light) will warm things up if they absorb it (i.e. they are not white/reflective).
Secondly, if MH's do put out a fair amount of infrared, then an infrared filter will have to absorb all of that radiation - as heat. So if it's enough to warm up your tank, think what it will do to a little bit of film...

--
Andrew McLeod
thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk

This email was scanned carefully before transmission to remove any content, information or relevance.