It looks to me like you can enjoy this hobby in many different ways.
If you like tinkering, "inventing", making your own equipment, you can
enjoy that activity, as I do.  If you enjoy aquascaping, making the
artistically "perfect" arrangement of plants, rocks, wood and fish, you
can enjoy doing it that way.  And, if you have a scientific bent, and
enjoy research, you can buy lots of meters, gages, test kits, etc. and
enjoy that part.  I don't see any of those approaches being superior,
but just different ways of finding enjoyment in a hobby.  Tom Barr is
unique in having many years of experience, both at his job and at this
hobby, and, as a result, offers information that I haven't seen
anywhere else.  His approach may not appeal to everyone, and it
doesn't, in fact, but the information he provides is certainly very
helpful to everyone.  Now, as to light levels, I really would like to
see more empirical data on the effect of light on plant health and
growth, and an improvement to the watts per gallon standard would be
very interesting indeed.  (Not that I would necessarily change anything
as a result.)

Vaughn H.