On 9/18/05, Jerry Baker <jerry at bakerweb_biz> wrote:

> . There is a definitive answer on the minimum
> light required, or the most PAR per dollar/watt, and just about any
> other topic involving a result that can be measured empirically. Just
> because we don't know the answer yet doesn't mean there isn't one.

 There is a definitive answer for every combination of CO2 level, pH,
nutrient level and species of plant. That's thousands of definitive answers,
each equally valid. I've done enough years of research in a lab to walk
gingerly around the edges of that size problem space.
 I suspect the real reason the pursuit of the ultimate in fine grained
knowledge doesn't interest a lot of people is that the beauty of a planted
tank has almost nothing at all to do with the rate of plant growth, having
more to do with basic health, fauna, artistry, color and texture,
preferences of growth habit and design. It's not that no one cares, its just
that it is not necessary to enjoy the hobby for most people.
 Liz