[APD] New to group

   Hello from New Mexico,
My name is Justin Travis. Being a fuel Hauler and soon to be father of four
I somehow manage to squeeze in time to watch and care for my aquarium. It's
a 46 gallon bowfront community tank with an interesting substrate I think. I
like the look of black sand, but hate the expense. I used the aquatic plant
soil from Walmart since it was sterile and non fertilized to start. I then
was able to procure five gallons of the black well fracturing beads that
Halliburton oilfield services uses to increase oil flow in well bores. The
beads are perfect 2 and 3 millimeter balls and flow like sand, but they will
not compact under pressure. This allows for root hair growth and water
circulation for the entire depth of the beads. I also like the fact that my
gravel cleaner will not suck the beads into my drain bucket.
    I've got several small group of  bronze, and green wendtii's growing
across the fore and midground. I've been trying to get my dwarf saggitaria
to spread, but it's a slow grower. I also have crypt. ciliata, brazil swords
and amazon swords growing from rear midground to background. Obviously this
isn't an accurate biotope with Amazon and Sri Lankan plants, but it's fun to
watch the fish play around.
   I've got 70 watts of mixed plant growth and sunlight flourecents from
Coralife. Not quite 2 watts per gallon, but a heck of a lot better than the
original 28 watt single strip that the aquarium came with. I like the new
double T-5 strip that I've added. I may dump the 28 watt for another double
T-5.
    I've been using the DIY CO2 generation system with a large airstone that
I've seen in a few places. I'd love to have the high dollar CO2 cyclinder,
but I have more time to fiddle with the mix and the airvalve than I do spare
change for the other system.
    OK sorry if I've rambled, but I'm glad to have found the list and hope
to hear from everyone else soon.
Justin T. Travis
Lovington NM.