Re: [APD] Mixing Flourite and Gravel

This method works, has all the basics for rinsing, but it
is way more work than one needs to go through if one
applies ti to all the Fourite you plan to use.

Some fellows from Texas found that using a plastic mesh
storage container worked well for rinse large amounts or
Flourite quickly. I just use a kitchen collander; it takes
more batches but each batch rinses more quicker.

However you do it, if you do much stirring of the material
during or after the rinsing, you will generate more dust.
So, my advice is, don't go crazy with the rinsing if you're
going to be stirring during or after the rinsing -- it's a
bit like trying to vacuum a carpet while wearing muddy
shoes ;-) .

Scott H.
--- "auntie_fran at netzero.net" <auntie_fran at netzero.net>
wrote:

> I've mixed Fluorite and gravel by washing the Fluorite
> first, letting it dry thoroughly and then mixing it 50/50
> (by weight).  I used to have the web site that gave
> detailed instructions on washing the fluorite (complete
> with illustrations), but I think you can get the idea
> from the description that I had saved in Word:
> How to Wash FLUORITE
> The Perfect Plant Substrate
> You know, I wouldn't have thought there was an article in
> this subject, but I see so many questions about it on the
> boards I thought maybe it was something that needed to be
> addressed. We are talking about SeaChem's Fluorite, a
> fracted clay material that is just about the perfect
> substrate for growing plants--at least in my humble
> opinion. It's the right size, it's loaded with iron and
> other trace elements to feed the plants' roots, it won't
> affect the ph or hardness of your water, and it's even
> pretty! How can you beat that? The only complaint I ever
> hear about it, aside from the cost--and I hear it all the
> time--is how messy it is when you wash it and how badly
> it clouds your tank. Well, it doesn't have to be that
> way--it's not that way for me--and I thought I would
> share my methods in the hope it will help alleviate
> someone' else's frustration.
> So why use Fluorite? What's wrong with plain old gravel?
> Well--nothing, really, except plain old gravel is just
> that; it's inert, and it offers nothing extra to help
> your plants grow. If you use plain old gravel, you'll
> find that you need to use substrate fertilizers to give
> your plants a boost. It's more than that,
> though--Fluorite is the best rooting medium for plants
> I've ever come across. It's the perfect size, and it's
> lighter in weight than regular gravel and doesn't compact
> as easily, and that together with the nutrients it
> provides encourages roots to grow like nothing else I've
> ever tried. Yes, it costs more than gravel does, but
> think of it as an investment in good plant growth--and a
> way to protect your investment in all those plants you're
> going to be buying! Keep in mind that Fluorite occupies
> more mass than an equal weight of gravel does, so you
> don't need quite as much; a 15 pound bag is more than
> enough for a 10 gallon tank, you'll have some left over.
> About !
>  one pound of Fluorite per gallon will give you plenty of
> substrate; you'll have to buy half again as many pounds
> of gravel. You can reduce the cost considerably by mixing
> it with small gravel, up to about 50-50. That's what I
> prefer to do, and I feel my results have been just as
> good with a mixture as they have been with a 100%
> Fluorite substrate. How much you want to use is for you
> to decide.
> So, you've decided you want to use Fluorite to give your
> plants the best possible medium to grow in. Great! Now
> what? Without further ado, here's how you can get it from
> the bag to your tank with a minimum of effort for you and
> [...]

Only 3 days left to enter the AGA Sixth International Aquascaping Contest!

Have registered for the Contest? Uploaded your photos?
Sent in the Photo Release Form?
Entries must be completed before the deadline lapses on September 15.

Share the fun and show your work!

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org