Re: [APD] Glass myths

Wright Huntley wrote:
> There has been a great deal of what sounds like misinformation about
> glasses here, lately.
>
> First, can someone cite any reference that tempered glass is stronger
> than ordinary sheet glass? It was stated as fact several times, without
> proof.

Apologies. I thought is was a generally known fact:

http://www.answers.com/topic/glass
"Toughened [tempered] glass is typically assumed to be six times the
strength of annealed glass. This is because any surface flaws tend to be
pressed closed by the retained compressive forces, while the core layer
remains relatively free of the defects which could cause a crack to begin."

http://www.glassonweb.com/glassmanual/topics/index/tempered.htm
"Tempered (toughened) glass is two or more times stronger than annealed
glass."

--
Jerry Baker