Re: [APD] Sources of DIY Material

Jerry Baker wrote:

>Rex Grigg wrote:
>

>>Ahh... you want color.  Find a dealer that carries 3M ColorQuartz.  It's
>>designed for swimming pool use and many people have used it with great
>>success in planted tanks.
>>

>I just want a natural gravel/sand that isn't white. I have spent all day
>calling and driving to every place that could conceivably carry sand or
>gravel with no luck. Even the landscaping places who should specialize
>in aesthetics do not carry anything except white. When I ask them where
>someone might get gravel or sand that is not white they sound confused,
>like I have just asked them where they hide the aliens.
>
>If you want *real* comic relief, walk into a plumbing supply place and
>ask them where their bulkhead fittings are. I'm not even talking about
>wasting your time at Home Depot, but in an actual plumbing supply place.
>One guy asked me what a "bull head" was. I have not yet run into a
>single person at any store that even knows what a bulkhead is. When I
>try to explain that a bulkhead is how you connect a pipe to a water
>tank, they invariably say something like, "Oh, we don't sell tanks." I
>even tried a different approach and said, "If a customer walked in here
>and told you they needed assistance connecting a 1" PVC pipe to a water
>tank, what would you tell them." Their answer? "I don't know."
>
>I am stunned. I don't have any other words for today. Unbelievable.
>There has to be other people on this list from the Los Angeles area.
>Please tell me it doesn't have to be this difficult. I am definitely
>motivated to produce a list of sources so no one has to go through this,
>but I don't have one single place to put on the list yet ... well, there
>is one: You can buy a 55G plastic barrel at the aptly named Apex Drum
>Company in Commerce for $50.

http://cms.3m.com/cms/US/en/2-125/uzRkES/view.jhtml

That is the page for 3M ColorQuartz for floors.  Also take a look at the
color blends.  3M has been very helpful.  If you call them they are more
than happy to inform you where you can buy this product in your area.

Bulkheads are not a common plumbing item.  You can find them at feed
stores.  Something I'm pretty sure is in short supply in L.A.  However
almost any decent reef shop should have access to or know where to
obtain them.