Re: [APD] WATER HYACINTH

Actually, what happened was that, I was scouting for terrestrial plants for
my garden in a plant nursery, and I just saw a green plant with large leaves
floating in water in an earthen pot.
So I just asked the nursery person about what it was.
He just said it is a kind of water lily, which gives flowers.
So, just out of curiosity, I bought it and put it first- in my outdoor
aquarium and then as the plant is quite large, later- in a large
earthen pot, cemented inside.
I was just wondering what type of plant it is and suddenly one fine morning
(about 7days after I had got it), there was a bunch of really beautiful
violet flowers !.
I was really surprised, and by chance came across similar picture in a
garden manual to realise that it was water hyacinth.
I had heard it is a dangerous weed and now all your posts confirm it.
Now I will be very very careful about its disposal.
I also read that in Kerala(a South Indian state), many waterways have been
clogged and rendered useless by this plant.

ajit
India.