Re: [APD] WATER HYACINTH

On 9/7/05, drajitathale <drajitathale at hclinfinet_com> wrote:

> Has anybody tried water hyacinth in aquarium
>
> ajit
> INDIA.

 Hi Ajit,
 DId I read that you have your aquaria outdoors? If so then water hyacinth
will grow quite well for you. The standard warning about water hyacinth is
pretty important -- just make sure that it can't get into any lake, river,
stream or other body of water. I don't know if it is loose in India but it
is a nightmare in the southeastern US and is being harvested out of Lake
Victoria as well.. Rampant growth is a hallmark -- I have seen whole plants
grow from a 5 cm leaf fragment. As long as you are very careful it's a great
plant to grow. Very heavy feeder that seems to relish warm water and the
flowers are stunningly beautiful.
 Liz