[APD] Canopy Cooling

I see that the IceCap fans are horribly expensive at some $45, and loud
at 47.8dBA. I can put together a 35.5dBA fan and a 12VDC transformer for
about $13. True that the IceCap is variable speed, but the whole point
of variable speed is to be quiet. When the fan I'm talking about is
12dBA less than the IceCap (less than half loud as perceived by the
ear), I don't see where the IceCap has an advantage. Is there something
critical I am missing, or is this another case of the aquarium hobbyist
being gouged?

--
Jerry Baker