Re: [APD] Excel and U.V. light

This is a topic I've been wtaching and asking about for a
few years now. There doesn't seem to be much evidence that
UV units cause iron deficiency in planted aquaria.
Chelators are usually relatively unstable compounds to
begin with (at least EDTA), so it might not matter that
much if UV rays speed the process along. Otoh, it could be
that ferrous or ferric, in a planted aquarium, it doesn't
really matter that much; there's enough going on for the
plants to get their fill.

Scott H.

--- Raj <ggrk at blr_vsnl.net.in> wrote:

>          U.V. light causes a lot of chemical bonds to
> break down. As I
> understand it breaks down "chelation".
>
>          The reason for adding Chelated compounds to the
> aquarium water is
> to prevent the wanted metal from being oxidized rapidly
> and unaccessible to
> the plants. A chelated compound breaks down slowly and
> releases the wanted
> form of metal over a longer time. Thus benefiting the
> plant.
>
>          U.V. light would break down the compound (&
> chelated nutrients)
> rapidly and thus exhaust it quickly.
>
>          Am I wrong?
>
> Raj
>
> >I read on another site that Seachems Excel is broken
> down by U.V. light and
> >that if you want to use it you need to turn off your
> U.V. sterilizer.
> >
> >Does anyone now if this is fact?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Bill VanHorn

What? You haven't entered yet this year? The deadline for submissions to the AGA Aquascaping contest is September 15.

Looks like this might be the biggest year ever for Aquascaping Contest entries from countries inside and outside of North America.

So share the fun and show your work.
The AGA's 6th Annual International Aquascaping Contest is open but only for a couple more weeks.

Entries are only $5 and for that half a sawbuck you can have your AGA entry automatically entered in the ADA (Aqua Design Amano) contest for free, a savings in time and shipping costs!

Check it out at:
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org