Re: [APD] hydrogen sulfide - help!

Mark Gilmore wrote:

> Has anyone had this kind of experience before?

I had a slighty similar experience. I moved a corner of the substrate to
place an ornament in and a few big bubbles came to the surface and in a
few mins my fish were all at the surface. Luckly I put on the air supply
full blast and added some oxygen tablets to the tank.

Within 15mins they were all ok.

> Does my assumption of
> hydrogen sulfide release seem correct?

I'd agree.

> Can I assume the hydrogen
> sulfide released yesterday has dissipated?

Yes.

> I'm also worried about other pockets of hydrogen sulfide that may exist.

Oh yes. Stir the gravel deeply to get rid of it.

>   Does anyone have advice on how to safely deal with these?

Get some MTS.
Malaysian Trumpet snails and do some deep gravel stiring with a stick!
But remove your fish first!

> My heart is heavy.

I feel really sorry for your loss. You must be so upset.

--
Stuart Halliday
http://mytriops.com/