Re: [APD] Aeration & a planted tank

> > I would
> > like to add that in non-temperature controlled situations, the decreased
> > replication of the bacteria may also be a strong factor.

To make sure I understand, are you saying that the nitrifying bacteria
reproduce slower at higher temperatures?

During the water change I also clean tank surfaces and lightly suction off
the driftwood and gravel, where I assume there are nitrifying bacteria.
I've picked up a new ammonia test kit and will check the tank the morning
after the next water change.  It's never shown a trace before, but I don't
think I ever checked it at that time.  The temperature of the water
definitely increases from a water change in my home, and takes a couple days
to go back to normal, so the fish behavior may be a combination of factors -
ammonia and low oxygen, contributed to by the high temperatures, rapid plant
growth, and a decrease in bacteria.  For the record, I've never seen the
fish in the tank do any of the behaviors (flicking and hiding) that were
described for elevated ammonia - they just hang at the surface and breath
rapidly the first couple of mornings after a water change.  I also noticed
the corys will go to the surface and swallow air occasionally during this
period.  They don't do that at any other time in this tank.  Also for the
record, the tank uses a spray bar on an Eheim Ecco, but the spray bar is
located near the bottom of the back wall pointing forward (ala an old Tom
Barr recommendation to conserve CO2).  If the tank tests 0 ammonia, the
first thing I will try is to point the spraybar more upwards to increase the
bottom to top circulation.

Thanks to all for this thread - it's an interesting one!

Terry S. in AZ