Re: [APD] aeration & a planted tank

At 12:20 AM 8/26/2005 -0400, Terry wrote:

thing to note is that here in Phoenix, the water temp in the summer is often
>well over 80' F straight from the 'cold' water tap, and the tank usually
>runs around 80-82' F, or sometimes even higher.

         Mine is running closer to 90 from the tap right now and is cooler
than the water at work,  you could shower comfortably with it.  My main 44
gal corner tank is in the SE corner of the house and runs right at 80 with
out a heater all summer.  It is moderately planted and a little under a
watt a gallon.
         Because of that I fill 5 gallon water bottles and let them set a
couple days to come down to room temperature before doing water
changes.  The tanks are warm enough with out doing 90 degree water changes..
         An update on changing the tank over from gravel to sand, seems to
be working well the Narrow-Leaf Dwarf Subulata has started growing
noticeably and putting out runners,  it just seem to survive in the
gravel.  If I stir the sand up any though it clouds the tank, shouldn't be
a problem now, I have it mainly spread out evenly.  Now if the pleco would
quit digging holes to hide in it would be nice.  Made the tank look
brighter as well since the gravel had a lot of shadow. The corries seem to
like it and so do the ottos, even see the swordtails eating off the bottom
which they never did before.

Scott in Phoenix

    D. Scott Scheibe
<mailto:dsscheibe at earthlink_net>