Re: [APD] Re: CaCl2, CaSO4.

And calcium sulfate (gypsum) does not affect pH or
alkalinity levels of the water. However, note that some
calcium sulfate is not "mined" but is produced as a
by-product of the manufacture of phosphoric acid, in which
case it can have some some residual acid, which can lower
the pH. If in doubt, take some water with a known pH and
dissolve some of the calcium sulfate in it and then check
the pH again.

I believe it was David Lass that first clued me in re
calcium sulfate.

Good luck, good plants, good fun,
Scott H.

--- Thomas  Barr <tcbiii at earthlink_net> wrote:

>  "Regarding
> calcium chloride, I experienced trouble both times I used
> it. Red plants
> turned greenish, spotted leaves loosed contrast, stunted
> grow. It took some
> weeks to recover.
>
> Mariano"
>
> Try CaSO4, gypsum, fine ground. This will not have the
> same impact but is slower to dissolve.
>
> Regards,
> Tom Barr

 The deadline for submissions to the AGA Aquascaping contest is September 15. What are you waiting for?

Entries are only $5 and for that half a sawbuck you can have your AGA entry automatically entered in the ADA (Aqua Design Amano) contest for free, a savings in time and shipping costs!

Share the fun; show your work.
The AGA's 6th Annual International Aquascaping Contest is open.

Check it out at:
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org