Re: [APD] High NO3 reading

Maybe a lack of something else is limiting nitorgen uptake?
Thus, "high" nitrate readings but plants that appear to not
be getting enough.

sh

--- Tomoko Schum <tomokoschum at knology_net> wrote:

> Hi y'all,
>
> I am puzzled about NO3 levels that I am getting from my
> test kits lately.  I
> tested my water a number of times with relatively new
> Aquarium
> Pharmaceutical's test kit and a brand new Salfert's test
> kit, and the
> results are consistently high around 30 to 40 ppm.  I
> have been sticking to
> Tom Barr's recommendation on the tank maintenance and I
> never had a problem
> until this year (this tank was set up in 2000.)  I
> stopped adding KNO3 for
> two weeks or so and the NO3 level dropped to 10 to 15 ppm
> range, but some of
> my plants look really nitrogen deficient now.  I think my
> fish load is
> moderate (20 cardinal tetras, 5 harlequin rasboras, three
> or four coridoras,
> two SEA and a few more small tetras) for a heavily
> planted 75 gallon tank
> (equipped with four 55W PC's and a pressurized CO2
> system.)  I have not
> changed fertilizing or fish feeding regimens over the 5
> years.  Is it time
> to clean substrate (100% Fluorite) drastically or change
> out my 5 years old
> media in my Eheim 2026?  I cannot really figure out where
> my extra nitrate
> is coming from.  My tap water contains less than 5 ppm of
> nitrate (it
> usually read 0.)
>
> Tomoko

A little over 1 month to go. The deadline for submissions to the AGA Aquascaping contest is September 15. What are you waiting for?

Entries are only $5 and for that half a sawbuck you can have your AGA entry automatically entered in the ADA (Aqua Design Amano) contest for free, a savings in time and shipping costs!

Share the fun; show your work.
The AGA's 6th Annual International Aquascaping Contest is open.

Check it out at:
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org