Re: [APD] Book List

I'll make a suggestion for another addition to your list, and sound a caveat about an item on it.

First, the addition: Diana Walstead's 'Ecology of the Planted Aquarium'. You may not agree with her approach and I guess I don't since I run a tank with more lighting than she suggests, CO2 supplementation, fertilisation, and a fluorite substrate - in other words more towards high tech than her approach though I haven't gone as far as pH controllers yet - but there is still an immense amount of information in this book that isn't available elsewhere and it definitely stays in my library for that reason. I have definitely got value for money from this book, despite the fact that I don't use her techniques.

My caveat is about Kasselmann's new 'Planted Aquariums'. It is not as informative as I hoped, and it doesn't cover theory anywhere near as well as I hoped given the quality of 'Aquarium Plants'. I definitely hoped for more science and I am disappointed. It's a good book but I think there's probably a much better book she could write.

For the theory side and heavier reading, especially if you're reading in bed where the book could fall and break your nose because you dropped off to sleep, I'd recommend Adey and Loveland's 'Dynamic Aquaria'. It's slanted to marine tanks more than freshwater and definitely slanted to huge tanks rather than home tanks, but it really does cover biological processes and their replication in closed environments. I'd also recommend people who want more scientific info about what goes on in natural systems read a limnology textbook. I won't recommend one because the one I have is now several years old and university textbooks tend to go out of date fairly fast, but a limnology text will delve further into the natural system processes even further than 'Dynamic Aquaria' does, though there will still be a lot of space devoted to marine environments since they make up the bulk of the water based ecological systems on this planet.

'Dynamic Aquaria' and a limnology text definitely aren't essential reading, and they aren't going to be big sellers so you couldn't justify holding them in stock in a LFS, but they are good recommendations for the small proportion of aquarists who appreciate a much more scientific understanding of the biological processes at work in our aquariums. I think Walstead's book is a good, quarter-way house for those who want a bit more info and understanding than the basic beginner's book.

And I do hope Kasselmann can find it in her to write a really solid text that puts out a lot more info than Walstead and slanted more towards the serious hobbyist who likes running a tank towards the higher end of the technology scale.

David Aiken