Re: [APD] Phosphates too much? any alternative answers to reducin g the problem.

On 8/12/05, S. Hieber <shieber at yahoo_com> wrote:

> One can detect the odor of sulphur when one opens the
> bottle. It is harmless if not attractive.

 No, I can walk into a house and know Prime has been used within the last 2
or 3 days. If you are sensitive to sulfur compounds -- not all people have
the same sensitivity, and the sensitivity can vary from compound class to
compound class -- Prime is not a good product to use. I have recommended it
to a lot of peple, particularly people who are starting new tanks, but I
don't use it because of the odor. YMMV.
 The threads you cite and the ARG website talk about Amquel Plus not
sequestering nitrite and nitrate ions, and Kordon manufacturing Amquel (not
A+) after the patent expired rather than buying it from the inventors, ARG.
With regards to the patent expiration issue, see generic drugs. No one
disputes that Amquel destroys chloramines and converts chlorine and ammonia
into nontoxic forms. Prime sequesters nitrites and nitrates but according to
the label you use 5 times the normal dosage to do so at meaningful
concentrations. How many mature tanks with high levels of plants contain
either of those anions unless they are added to the tank?
 I'm fine with people prefering different brands, products and
manufacturers. I think the original assertion was that some unspecified
products leave toxic forms of ammonia and chlorine behind when used to treat
chloramines. I would think that if that were the case we'd have heard about
deaths from chlorine and ammonia poisoning.
 Liz