Re: [APD] Phosphates too much? any alternative answers to reducin g the problem.

Ok, id better answer this on the weekend when I have my record book available but I think my tank goes as follows

300 litres (90g)
27.5 deg C
now 8 months old
pH 7.4 (I used to use pH down but realised it contained phosphates so only adding chlorine/chlormine neutraliser)
KH 6 or 7 drops using Hagen kit, think that's about 70ppm or its about 140ppm any ways the kit says its moderately hard.
GH 6 or 7 drops using Hagen kit, think that's either 120ppm or 60ppm forget which one of these you multiply by 20 and the other you multiply by 10.
Ammonia usually 0 sometimes gets to 2ppm but only when I'm not focusing on my tank.
Non Chelated Iron 0
Chelated Iron normally goes back to 0 after a week but I always add 2 cap fulls of Seachem Flourish + 2 cap fulls of Seachem Iron.
phosphate 5ppm+
NitrIte 0
NitrAte 0 to 20ppm also depending on if I'm paying attention to my tank, normally is about 5ppm.

I think I have a couple of other tests but can't remember what they are or what the values are for them.

Tropical fish and plenty of em (I know how longs a piece of string... but I forget just what I have also)

Plenty of plants enough to cover half my tank surface, I'm looking around for some other new plants to add to my tank.... Any one in Brisbane Australia want to give some away??

=Nick

PS: Much thanks to the Brisbane Plant Study Group they are tops!

Rachel Sandage wrote:

How old is your tank? If it is more than a couple of months old and your ammonia isn't 0, you've got a problem.
Also, how heavily planted is your tank? In a tank that's moderately planted, plants will use up nitrogen (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) and phosphorous. In a heavily planted well-lit tank with adequate CO2, you usually need to add nitrogen and phosporous to keep the plants happy.
Do you have CO2? How much light do you have? How heavily planted is your tank? What is your pH and KH?
Rachel