From: Nicolas Munro [mailto:nmunro at qld_yokogawa.com.au]
Sent: 10 August 2005 04:47
To: aquatic plants digest
Subject: [APD] Phosphates too much? any alternative answers to reducing the problem.

Hi,

I have a Hagen test kit which says under 1 ppm is ok (as far as I can
recall) and the test measurement should be taken after 2 minutes of
reaction and it has a high level of 5ppm.

I'm getting a high reading of Phosphate in my water. When I test my
water I get more than 5ppm in just 30 seconds which to me indicates a
problem.

My fish tank is suffering from algae which sticks on the glass and also
makes the water a slight green / yellow colour.

My question is simple but I can't find many alternatives,  how do I
reduce the phosphate?

I've got lots of live plants, I've tried underfeeding my fish for a
week, I've tried replacing water very regularly (more than 90% for a
couple of weeks/water changes) - my tap water by the way has 0.5ppm
Phosphate after a reaction time of 2 minutes.

_Are there any alternatives? _

=Nick