Re: [APD] ich

If it's a slight outbreak. Do water changes and be sure the
tank water remains very high quality. Feed a good mix of
live/frozen and dry food. Health rainbows will beat back
the ich and medication is often not needed if living
conditions for the fish are otherwise good. If ich perists,
any one of the malachite green & formalin mixtures will
knock out the ich quickly, usually at half dose, which is
what I would try if I used it. Doing that will not
noticeably harm the plants or bottom feeders.

Do keep in mind that raising the temp into the high 80s or
more lowers the oxygen and places some added stress on the
fish while speeding up the life cycle of the ich.

sh
--- Liz Wilhite <satirica at gmail_com> wrote:

> Several rainbows in my planted tank appear to have ich. I
> am a bit stumped
> by this as nothing new has been added to that tank,
> except water, in months.
>  First, I have searched the archives and gotten
> conflicting information.
>  Second, I have doubts -- with at least half the rainbows
> infected -- that
> moving the sick fish out of the tank and treating them
> separately is going
> to work.
>  Finally, this tank has shrimp and yoyo loaches in it.
>  I am raising the temperature of the tank and have added
> a bit of salt and
> melafix to prevent secondary infections. I have read
> conflicting information
> on malachite green and formalin in planted tanks.
>  Suggestions for treatment?
>  Thanks,
> Liz

Share the fun; show your work.
The AGA's Sixth Annual International Aquascaping Contest is open.

Find about about here:
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org