[APD] RE: Spot Algae

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:56:45 -0600
From: "Jason Miller" <jvision at telus_net>

>  I'm starting to get a good amount of spot algae on my tank glass

We've always had spot algae, even under "Optimum" conditions (not the same
as "Tom Barr Conditions".

When I recently ordered some SAE from Arizona Aquatic Gardens, they asked if
I has ever tried "Algae Eating Olive Nerite Snails" a.k.a. Olive Nerites,
Olive Snails, Neritina reclivata.

I hadn't and they sounded interesting, so I ordered a dozen for our 100g
discus tank.  The spot algae in there was annoying me to no end.  Anyway,
they arrived in great shape and I put them in.  A month later, there was
zero spot algae. None. Nada. Zip. Zilch.  There months later, same story.

The snails are about marble-size and dark brown.  They don't breed in fresh
water (they are brackish snails) but they did lay a lot of eggs at first.
After the first month, egg production died way back and I haven't seen any
recently.

If you aren't Snail Adverse, these things are magic.  Highly recommended.
Thanks AAG!

George Booth in Ft. Collins, CO
http://users.frii.com/gbooth/AquaticConcepts