[APD] Re: Temperature, Thermometers & Mercury

Just to bring this back to aquatic gardening, see below re flourescent tubes...

Ann V

http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/HazardousWaste/Mercury/NEWS_2003_T-21-03.pdf

"Mercury is a persistent, bioaccumulative heavy metal toxin that is a State and national pollution

prevention priority. Inhaling elemental mercury vapor from broken thermometers and medical

equipment, such as blood pressure gauges, may affect the gastrointestinal, respiratory, and central

nervous systems."

http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/HazardousWaste/Mercury/NEWS_2003_MercuryRegs.pdf

"Additionally, the regulations newly identify four categories of mercury-added products, which,

when discarded, will be considered hazardous wastes, regardless of the amount of mercury in the

waste. These wastes may also be managed as universal wastes. The four categories of wastes

and their effective dates are: (snip)

· Mercury-added lamps (effective February 9, 2004): Fluorescent tubes and several other

types of lamps (not incandescent light bulbs) contain a small amount of mercury that is

necessary for their operation. Currently, most fluorescent lamps contain enough mercury

to be a hazardous waste, but some have a low enough mercury concentration that they are

not considered hazardous and may be disposed of with non-hazardous trash."

Message: 11