Re: [APD] RE: internode distance

Thank you all for your comments. I will try to investigate the options mentioned.

Sincerely,

Mariano

From: Liz Wilhite <satirica at gmail_com>
To: tcbiii at earthlink_net, aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
Subject: Re: [APD] RE: internode distance
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 23:19:22 -0700

> > Which are the key factors that determine the internode distance in stem
> > plants?. Would it be the total light amount?, would it be the red to
> blue
> > relation?, what about water chemistry?.

Some time back we were asked about this from a list member who had very
high light levels. As he knew, and as I assume you know, extended internodal
distances are often found in terrestrial plants that receive insufficient
light. After that post I had an unexpected opportunity to observe changes in
internodal distances in my own aquarium. I had noted earlier that with light
levels approaching 5 wpg that internodal distances were lengthened --
something I wouldn't have predicted from my gardening experiences. What I
recently observed is that internodal distances are lengthened when nitrate
levels approach zero and shorten when nitrate levels are then increased to
the range of 10 and 20 ppm. I did not test PO4 and K levels when this
occurred, and they could easily have been low along with NO3 levels. (I had
injured my back and not added ferts for a period of time.) I am not saying
that low NO3 levels cause extended internodal distances -- this is not
science but a report of observations. It could have been something
completely different that happened at the same time which caused the changes
I observed.
Liz