Re: [APD] RE: Blyxa

Hello Tom,
I have had annuals grow for much longer when you take away the triggers that
make them flower and die off.   Ottelia alismoides (I think you guys treat
it as a weed) generally only grows for a year but I had one in an aquarium
growing for two and a half years before it died.

Bnlyxa aubertii is a very common plant here around the top end of Oz but it
does not have much choice about dying off each year.   We get about 80
inches of rain in three months, the rains start in December and are
generally finished by March.   Everywhere is in flood.   The waters drain
away by about July. The Blyxa survives through dry season in some permanent
waters but by about October it looks terrible with ratty leaves and lots of
flowers.  Even in those places that have water all year the quality is bad
for plants by the end of the dry season.   Perhaps some survive through to
the next wet season.

Perhaps some of these so called annuals have a set lifetime that can cover
more than one season if conditions are suitable for them to keep growing.
Next time I am in the NT Government Herbarium I will ask the Water Plant
botanist there, Ian Cowie.   He is a whiz with water plant knowledge.

Cheers
Dave in Darwin