Re: [APD] paintball CO2 for a mini tank

Vaughn Hopkins wrote:
My concern is with using a throttling valve to reduce the pressure of the CO2 in the cylinder to keep from rupturing the low pressure needle valve. That is very dangerous. A valve will not reliably reduce the pressure downstream of it, since the pressure reduction is a function of flow rate through the valve. If the flow from the needle valve is interrupted for any reason the pressure on the needle valve would rapidly increase to full cylinder pressure. This system would be safe if a relief valve were used to protect it from cylinder pressure.

Yea, very true.
I totally need to beef up the disclaimer in the article. Risks I'm willing to take are shark food for the lawyers.

I did consider getting a regulator for it, but the paintball varieties cost alot ($70+) and only drop the pressure by half. I'd probably end up needing more than one to get it down to a "safe" level. And that would have defeated the whole point of the project. But I definately need to add that information to the article for those who might not be aware. I never thought of a relief valve though. How cheep are they? where could I find one that met my purposes? and more importantly, budget? I don't think I saw one on any of the paintball supply sites... but I'll take another look.

thanks alot for the input.
-derek parr