Re: [APD] c02 in a 5.5

I' pretty sure that the amount of yeast you start doesn't
determine anything more than how fast the fermentation
bottle gets up to speed -- up to maximum populatin that the
environment can support. Given the doubling rate for yeast
(about 2 or less hours under good conditions), it doesn't
matter how much you start with by the second day or sooner
-- by then the population will have maxed out from even the
smallest starting culture.

Scott H.

--- Vaughn Hopkins <hoppy1 at surewest_net> wrote:

> When I used DIY yeast CO2 I used a 3 liter bottle with 3
> cups sugar and
> 3/8 tsp of yeast, plus nothing else.  I got that recipe
> from those who
> used 2 liter bottles with 2 cups sugar and 1/4 tsp yeast
> (regular bread
> yeast).  It gave me a bubble about every second and
> lasted a couple of
> weeks.  I think you have far too much yeast in your
> bottle.  In fact
> for such a small tank I would use 1/8 tsp yeast, two cups
> sugar and no
> baking soda or salt.  The quantity of  yeast controls how
> fast the CO2
> is produced and the amount of sugar determines roughly
> how long it
> lasts.  At least that is how I understood it.
>

> On Wednesday, June 15, 2005, at 10:07 AM, James H wrote:
>
> > im injecting co2 through the yeast method into my 5.5g
> tank and im
> > having problems with the co2 being at too high levels
> and its starting
> > to stress the fish especially my cories.  im using a 2l
> pop bottle
> > with 3/4c sugar 1/2tsp yeast and 1/4tsp baking soda and
> a pinch of
> > salt, without the salt i get way too much co2 a
> constant stream infact
> > and if i add anymore than a pinch i get no co2 at all,
> im wondering if
> > anyone knows how to lower the production or should i
> get a smaller
> > bottle and reduce the recipe?
> > James

The AGA's Sixth Annual International Aquascaping Contest is open!

Enter more than once. Enter entirely electronically!

So, get some fresh alkalines for the camera, clean the glass front, back and sides, remove the filter tubes and burping clam, and start snapping the shutter.

Not ready for picture taking yet? There's still plenty of time for planning, planting, pruning before the Septbember 15, 2005, closing date for entries.

All the info is here:

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org