Re: [APD] NO3 limits in planted tanks

Thank you Tom!
You are really putting some scientific foundations under this hobby. And, the last test kit I had said, in the instructions, NO3 must be kept at zero - that was about 5 years ago.

This does raise a couple of questions, at the least. One is, does this reduce the necessity for weekly 50% water changes? I would expect that it would mean that we can be at least a bit more relaxed about that. And, the second is, how does this affect the goals we aim for in fertilizing? Still 10-20 ppm NO3 and 1 -2 ppm PO4? I would expect that one would do better to try for the top end of those ranges or even a bit higher? Or, perhaps just forget the limits and let the plants decide when you have enough, once you are above the bottom limit?

Have you any plans to research light needs further? Like developing a formula for watts per square meter per meter depth of water? (watts/meter cubed)