Re: [APD] RE: Rift lake refugium- Tom Barr

We grow Peace Lilies in fairly low light.  (under Ficus and other tall
tropicals in a 55% shade cloth covered greenhouse)  Root rot isn't
caused by insufficient light.  It's caused by insufficient oxygenation
of the roots.  Anaerobic conditions develop and the roots rot.  I've
seen this happen to Peace Lilies fairly rapidly.  Even in betta bowls
when the roots are just suspended in water, they rot rapidly because
there is no oxygenation.  Instead of gravel, I would use something
more porous as a media, IE lava rock or porous ceramic balls.  Also,
what is the temperature?  Cool temps will contribute to root rot.

Nick Ternes
Port Washington, WI
WAKO
AKA