[APD] RE: Rift lake refugium

I don't know why I didn't think of using emergent plants - I've done this
before and it worked wonderfully!  I've got a few house plants that I've
potted, but were all started in different fish tanks over the years - I'll
probably use cuttings from these.

As far as planting the tank with Val. sp. (I have spiral and tiger on hand),
is there a way to keep the fish from digging them up before they become fully
rooted?  If not, how long does it take for Vals to become well rooted?  Is
there a way to get them to root & spread faster - a certain nutrient
combination?  I kind of like the idea of having a wall of Val. along the back,
and maybe using some Anubias & Java fern - maybe even some Bolbitus - among
the rock/shell work.

As far as substrate is concerned, I like the idea of using limestone sand, but
I think I'd prefer something darker mixed in - Onyx Sand, perhaps?  Maybe I'll
go strate Onyx if I go planted (will swords fare well with the fish?).

Thanks, Tom & Richard for the advice, so far!

Jason