[APD] Re: water sprite

Here's probably the most useful paper in terms of identifying Ceratopteris.  It's 30 years old, but no one appears to have done a detailed taxonomic treatment since then.  Lots of papers have been done looking at molecular and chromosome details to try and figure out some of the forms, so hopefully someone will take another stab at it using the newer information.  But until then this paper is probably as current as it gets for taxonomy and far more reliable than seeing a name in a LFS or online catalog.

Lloyd_RM. 1974.
Systematics of the genus Ceratopteris Brongn. (Parkeriaceae): 2. Taxonomy.
Brittonia 26(2): 139-160 (1974)

This paper has lots of diagrams of leaf shapes and detailed discussions of morphology.  It also has a taxonomic key to the species.  He recognized 4 species: C. thalictroides, C. cornuta, C. pteroidies, and C. richardii.  Among other things he considers C. siliquosa to be a synonym of C. thalictroides.

Larger university libraries (or ones with good botanical libraries) will have this paper.  If you are really interested in this paper contact me and I will see if I can send a copy (it is written by taxonomists for taxonomists, so if you aren't prepared to deal with the terminology then don't bother).

-Kyle