[APD] Water Sprite blues

I have talked to many folks about my problems growing watersprite.   They
seem to have no difficulty with it in hard water, soft water, any pH,  cool,
warm, or whatever.  But watersprite hates me.  I have great  swords, crypts, val,
and others, but no matter what I do, the watersprite just  barely survives for
awhile, then turns mushy and dies.  I have well water,  pH 7.8, hardness 160
ppm, but I have also tried it in my rainwater tank, where  it lasts longer,
but eventually dies anyway.  Any suggestions?  I like  all the varities.

Carol