Re: [APD] LED's as a light source.

I thinkit was Cuck GAdd that first gave me this tip. But it
has borne out truer than I'd like.

Some care must be exercised when buying inexpensive LEDs,
especially the superbrights from surplus-product dealers.
Often, the cheap batches are seconds and they burn out
quickly or are less tolerant of diff voltages. If you buy
the cheap ones, consider buying lots extra, maybe 20%-40%
extra so that you have replacements. Also, have an easy
method of removing and replacing individual LEDs.

Scott H.

--- "Richard J. Sexton" <richard at aquaria_net> wrote:
> At 01:39 PM 5/14/2005 +0100, you wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >A friend of mine is heavily into his LED's and they do
> seem rather
> >bright, especially the luxeon star variety.  I was
> wondering if anyone
> >has play with technology such as the following:
> >

>http://shop.dotlight.de/shop/product_info.php/cPath/87/products_id/223
> >
> >I always thought that LEDs would make a great way of
> providing low cost
> >bright lighting but I am concerned about the temperature
> that the LEDs
> >get to, i.e. 70+C.  Also anyone whos good at working
> with lumens etc
> >could maybe advise on the light output of these things
> as im a bit of an
> >ameateur in these areas.
> >
> >If push comes to shove ill maybe buy a few sets of these
> in the near
> >future and do some tests, im sure ive got a light meter
> around here
> >somewhere.
> >

> There's an article on the web someplace where somebody
> ran a test
> in two identical tanks, one with 13W of compact
> fluorescent and one
> with 13W of 3W luxeon stars. The LED tank did
> ever-so-slightly
> better, but the 3W ones are fabulously expensive (About
> $46 USD ea).
>
> OTOH I've seen ads on ebay for 3W leds in flashlights for
> $9.99 out
> of Hong Kong.
>
> I'm planning to try this sometime this year but I'm not
> quite there yet;
> a betta bolw fell on my small tank I was going to do this
> with and broke
> a pane and I haven't fixed it yet.
>
> http://images.aquaria.net/tanks/rjs/flw2/leak_test/
>
> Not pictured here is a shelf right above it with a bunch
> of bettas in square jars. Turns out if you stack them two
> high and
> open and close my door enough, they will fall down and go
> boom.
>
> Mrs. green bettas survived this extra-aquatic adventure
> in the
> depts of my cupboards but alas the tank itself lost a
> rear
> panel. I consider it lucky it was only one panel and an
> easy square one, the triangular ones are buggers to cut.
>
> Ironically I'd just replaced that panel as I did a lousy
> job of making it 10 years ago and it always leaked a bit.
>
> Anyway, If you look on ebay there's lots and
> lots of LEDs available, you just have to wire them up and
> stick them
> in an enclosure. I expect them to be a big deal in
> aquarium lighting
> in the future, but the price needs to drop. Being
> semiconducters I'm
> hoping that will happen.
>

> --
>
>  /"\                         / http://lists.aquaria.net
>  \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN / Killies, Crypts,
> [...]

The American Cichlid Association Annual Convention
Just the biggest aquarium hobby convention of the year (would Texas have it any other way?)
Ft. Worth, Texas July 21-24   http://www.aca2005.org/