Re: [APD] Yeast CO2 in 55 gal tank update

Holly Wagner wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone for suggestions. I will probably do some checking at the local hardware stores for stoppers as this seems a much better way of sealing plastic bottles than what I rigged up. I settled for sealing silicone airline tubing into the shoulder of two V8 Splash bottles then using a T to join them together. I ran those to the inlet of a Rio 600 pump I had on hand. The yeast is bubbling and I think the epoxy I used to make the seal worked well enough. There's enough headspace in the V8 containers that I don't think the yeast is going to get sucked into the tank. I used the recipe for yeast CO2 using 2 cups water 2 cups sugar 1/2 tsp yeast and the bottles are less than 1/2 full. The problem I'm fighting now is that it seems some of these plants either got severly shocked during transport, were grown emerged, or my water chemistry is messed up royally. They are losing leaves as if they've been hit with a dose of Agent Orange and are re-growing leaves (guess !
t!
hat's
good but the mess from the shedding and dying leaves is bad)

Holly

I don't know why everyone goes to such extremes to get a seal on a plastic cap. I have made PVC reactors and several DIY CO2 systems several DIY bubble counters. Every one of them had the tubing going though a hole that was a couple of drill sizes smaller than the OD of the tubing. Every one of them sealed gas and liquid tight. Everyone of them is still working great.

The trick is to cut the tubing at an angle, thread it though the small hole and pull it though with pliers.

There is no need at all to mess with any kind of sealants, glues, epoxy, or silicone.