Re: [APD] monster plant removal

On 4/22/05, Alan and Kim Van Nevel <van_nevel at verizon.net> wrote:

> Believe it or not, I have two sword plants that have outgrown my 250 gal
> tank (8'x2'x'2). They are doing well, plantlets on a regular basis,
> flowers, all that. But I am thinking of removing them. My substrate is
> gravel layered over monterrey sand, over a bed of soil. I dont see
> evidence that the swords have sent roots all the way through the soil to
> the glass. But my concern is removing these will cause a huge mess in the
> tank.
>
> Could I safely get away with cutting them down severely, and replanting
> around them in the hopes the new plants would outcompete them?

Walstad has said that in her dirt tanks she cuts the entire top off of
swords at the crown, effectively killing them. You can cut them way back --
I've got one I do that to about once every 2 months -- and other plants will
outcompete them for a while.

Liz

--
Breakthroughs are not achieved through consensus thinking.