[APD] monster plant removal

Believe it or not, I have two sword plants that have outgrown my 250 gal tank (8'x2'x'2). They are doing well, plantlets on a regular basis, flowers, all that. But I am thinking of removing them. My substrate is gravel layered over monterrey sand, over a bed of soil. I dont see evidence that the swords have sent roots all the way through the soil to the glass. But my concern is removing these will cause a huge mess in the tank.

Could I safely get away with cutting them down severely, and replanting around them in the hopes the new plants would outcompete them?