[APD] sand choices

I am hoping to just keep a small (10 sq inches) area
open near the front of the tank for a bubbling/dancing
sand effect I saw among last years AGA contest
entries. This tank will be designed w/ plant tank
sales in mind (it's in a LFS) and there may only be
one species of fish (considering pearl headstanders,
or leaf fish, or killies, or a pair of african
butterflys, or angel pair, or pair of
moonlight/thick-lipped/sunset/flame/chocolate
gouramis, or someother kind of unnusual eye catching
fish) because it will be a sales focused tank the fish
will just be there to draw people in for a closer look
and willneedto either be large or dynamic in
color/form. I wanted to use a sand because I wanted to
give the impression of a super clean environment.
There will be quite a bit of hardscape in this tank as
well... the layout I was considering was a stump/roots
piece of driftwood with a slice of sand coming out
from the front (for the sand effect mentioned
earlier)with a stone separating the sand from the
fore-ground. The tank will have mostly stem plants w/
a few crypts (in hidden soil pots) and anubias for
texture. I seriously doubt I will be using the sand
exclusively, and might even make an acrylic "pen" to
hold it...but any input will be helpful at this
point,especially regarding sand types and where to buy
it :)
Sandi