Re: [APD] RE: excess and change over time -- or - exercise bikes for Amazons

Of course, it's a good thing that folks in the hobby keep
advancing their knowledge.

I think most folks that are concerned about plant nutrient
levels are concerned about promoting undesirable amounts of
algae. Insofar as that's not an issue, I still doubt that
the amounts folks would be intentionally dosing would be
harmful to fish. And I don't think anyone has suggested
that overfeeding plants is inherently bad -- "Hey, my E.
bleheri is overweight". Well, okay, there were some posts
about potassium excesses a few months ago and too, some
folks do think plants can be overweight -- "This need to
prune all the time is too much work."

Just to see what happens, about 6 months ago I started
dosing a couple of my moderately lighted (less than 2 wpg),
no-added CO2 tanks with roughly the same amounts of PO4,
NO3, and trace mix that I put in my highlight, boosted CO2
tanks -- very roughly and in round figures, 1 tsp KNO3/100g
and 1/4 tsp KH2PO4/100g thrice weekly. I still only do a
water change on those slow grow tanks only every couple of
months or so -- e.g., only two water changes so far this
year. It hasn't generated any algae problems. There is an
increased rate of growth of dust on the glass but that's
only one tank and so not attributable (or not solely
attributable) to the dosing.

The dosing hasn't promoted a lot more plant growth either,
but I surmise that the nutrient intake by the plants is
limited by the lighting and CO2 levels. So, I wouldn't
generally recommend these dosing levels for this kind of
tank setup -- at best it's a waste of nutrients. At worst,
I would guess that, if something does trigger algae/spore
production, there are plenty of nutrients in there to feed
them and cause a bloom. What might happen then to create
such a trigger? Hmmmm, perhaps a summer power outage, which
knocks out the lights and filter long enough to allow NH4
levels to spurt up before the power comes back on.

Scott H.