[APD] RE: excess and change over time

> Well, I can only repeat what I learned from Tom Barr. But I
> think his view has changed over time.
>
> sh

> > >The flip side of that is: Once there is 'enough' why
> > does 'more' do any good?
> >
> > >TW

Intially, I was very conservative about advice. But privately I was adding
a lot of ferts back close to 8 years ago at these levels.
After awhile, I noticed that as long as I kept some nutrients in good
shape, that I could a lot of ferts with no issues.
It started with getting folks not to fear PO4, fortunately everyone pretty
much no longer fears PO4 on the web. Folks where adding K+ without issue.
Next was Traces and keeping some NO3.
But why does NO3 have to be kept low?
What range of GH can we have? Those are nutrients and can be extremely wide
ranging also.

Why are excesses bad? Do they make plants grow less?
That does not make sense .........unless you get really really high
concentrations.

These are basic questions, you don't neeed a test kit to do test to see if
general ranges cause issue or grow plants well, if you want to add just
enough, using a test kit will help if the test kit works correctly........

I've changed a few things over the years, most is based on things that help
folks get rid of their algae and improve their plant growth, admittedly,
the levels are in high excess, but that covers everyone's tank and light
levels no matter what they have.
Adding more assumes no ill effects on the plants, I've never seen any with
all the plants species I've kept. .......and I've been looking specifically
for them for many years.

Things have changed over the years, but mainly ruling out various
arguements for allelopathy, High O2 levels, nutrient limitation,
herbivores, water changes/tap water, what range do the excesses exist at,
CO2 levels, light, and differences between plant species.
Other issues include what common thread do non CO2 and CO2 enriched tanks
have and why they both work and how they respond to different nutrient
levels(non CO2 tanks are not PO4, NO3, nor Fe limited-this is easy to test
for). The various methods all have a common theme that allow the tank be
stable without algae.
Each method supplies the plant with enough nutrients for a given growth
rate but all methods work well for the same reason.

So what happens if you dose NH4 (say 0.5ppm) and do daily water changes of
50%+?
It does not cause algae. So why? (I know)

Regards,
Tom Barr

3rd annual Plant Fest July 8-14th 2005!
subscribe at BarrReport_com           Get connected
www.BarrReport.com                    Get the information