From: Chris Hotte [mailto:ecwh at cogeco_ca]
Sent: 30 March 2005 22:12
To: aquatic plants digest
Subject: Re: [APD] re water changes

Ramon wrote:

>Hello,
>

>I've got kind of a stupid question. I know for sure that one of the reasons
>to we do water changes in a established tank is to reduce the nitrate level
>in your tank. But what happens when you put a lot of fast growing plants in
>your tank? I would think that these undemanding plants will use up the
>excess nitrates.
>
>You can just add more water as it evaporates from the tank and fertilizer
>for the plants. Do you still need to do water changes in this case?
>

>-WC

I've got alot of plant estate in my tank and nitrate levels as I've
recently discovered are high every other week.  If you had enough quick
growning plants to absorb all the nitrates, you'd then have to add to
keep the plants going. With suffient filteration as required to keep the
tank healthy, I don't personally think it's possible to achieve 0
nitrates through plant absorption.

- Chris