[APD] Re: dirt, moderate CO2, and moderate light

TB: "What is "moderate"? 15ppm? 30ppm? 2w/gal? 1.5 w/gal?"

Yes.

Since 1WPG and less is considered 'low light' and 3WPG and more is considered 'high light', then anything in between can be considered 'moderate light'. And once you're in the moderate light category, the amount of CO2 doesn't make that much difference. There's less of a need to squeeze in every last molecule using reactors, or turning it up until the fish gasp. The 'one bubble per second per 40 gallons' rule of thumb does well enough to get to around 20ppm.

TB: "PO4/NO3 test generally are poor. Unless you calibrate them and see if they are good, I'd not even bother using them. Often they cause more issues and take folks away from the plant's signals. Some have calibrated their cheaper test kits, I still suggest using the best ones you can afford."

Eh, disagree, but you already knew that. The Aquarium Pharmaceuticals NO3 and PO4 test kits are accurate, cheap, and for me have always calibrated to the enclosed chart. Testing NO3 and PO4 is fast and easy, and makes those two 'variables' constants. With NO3 and PO4 held constant, you can adjust K and traces and get a reaction that provides the needed clues for dosing those. Keep a log for a while and you can see a pattern that lets you reduce testing because you can generally just dose what you did before and be close enough.

DP: "So, to summarize: from what I understood, Diana is more interested in simplicity and minimal work after the setup, and a little science to see if some of her theories make sense. In contrast, I'd say that Tom Barr is ALOT more interested in the science and the proving of theories aspect of the hobby."

Looking at the posts in Walstad's section over at the AB forums, I see a lot of people there having long term problems with her method. It appears to me that those problems stem from the definition of 'dirt' and all the results from variations of its composition. I see Tom Barr's approach as being more reliable and simple because the variables can be identified, quantified and controlled. To me, growing plants underwater seems to be more closely related to hydroponics than houseplants. The professional hydroponics folks remove the 'dirt' variable as well.

TW