[APD] Lobelia cardinalis observations

I went for a hike on New Year's Eve in the Norvin Green State Forest in Bloomingdale, NJ and noticed some very healthy Lobelia's in the Post's Brook where the Hewitt to Butler trail crosses the brook. This made me take a mental note to see what they looked like in the Spring. I went today and they had a few leaves that were dieing, but otherwise they looked very fresh and green. They are growing in a protected eddy of a very swiftly flowing rocky stream. They are about 6 inches below the waters surface. They will not get any direct sun as it is densely wooded at this point. I can see the dried flower stalk from last years flowers still present. I guess I am surprised that they stayed a fresh looking green all winter. We just had about 6 inches of snow on Wednesday and it is still on the ground at the higher elevations(1100 feet) in the woods. Today was sunny and in the high 40's low 50's. The water is very cold. It hurts my fingers to keep them in it for more than a few minutes.

Jerry Smith in Bloomingdale, NJ