Re: [APD] Re: dirt and the No CO2 tank

I recently listened to her (Walstad) presentation at our last club meeting here in Raleigh, NC (she lives locally), and I got the impression that her goal for using soil was to make the whole thing more simple and more simmilar to the way most people grow house plants. In other words, put them in some dirt, add water and put them in a window.

So, whether they get their nutrients from the water or substrate is fairly irrelavent in that perspective.

As for natural, well... no more natural than a potted plant. I think that word might be a disstraction unless we're talking about biotopes.

As for the ferts thing, I don't know what she's said previously at other events but in her presentation and what I remember (disclaimer) reading in her book she only spoke of adding large amounts of fish food and stating that if some plants didn't make it, then tough, it ain't that kind of tank anyway. (my words) When a couple people did bring up those kind of questions at the presentation that was basically her response, just more civil. ;]

So, to summarize: from what I understood, Diana is more interested in simplicity and minimal work after the setup, and a little science to see if some of her theories make sense.

In contrast, I'd say that Tom Barr is ALOT more interested in the science and the proving of theories aspect of the hobby.

-derek

Maybe not so adamant after all. Walstad has also acknowledged on the AB forums that plants can get what they need from the water column. So, um, what would the dirt be doing then?

SH: "Ms. Kasselmann, who spoke at the NEC convention earlier this month, described a version of "dirt tank" (my term, not hers) using loam. She, too, said that after a period, ferts will need to be added. When and how much depends on the loam and the kinds of plants, of course."

Of course. :-/

I think there's something conceptually attractive about the -idea- of the balanced tank and soil substrates that makes them seem more natural. When there's really nothing natural about growing weeds in a glass box at all. The required inputs for success are easily determined so I'll skip the Koolaid and stick with science.

TW

PS: Regarding CO2, I like the third way with moderate light and -some- CO2. Slow stable growth and easy to manage, plus the plants filter the nitrates produced by the fish, which is why I got started on this anyway.

PSS: yea.. i like that one too.. Or I will when I get the balance thing more balanced. ;/

-derek (still a plant newb)