From: aquatic-plants-bounces+rick703=mts_net at actwin.com
[mailto:aquatic-plants-bounces+rick703=mts_net at actwin.com]On Behalf Of
sgreenville at provacom_com
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 1:15 PM
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Subject: [APD] System 1 filter - not working?

I just bought a System 1 diatom filter with the hope that I could use it to
help fight a green water problem I am currently having.  But when I ran it
(for two hours) the filter made absolutely no difference in the green water!
The filter did not clog with algae as I was hoping - the DE powder never
even turned green.  Can floating algae be too small to be filtered out by a
diatom filter?  Should I have tried running it longer?  Could something be
wrong with the filter? (It looked like it was running just fine.)  I talked
to a guy at the company who makes the System 1 and he said not many people
use a diatom filter for green water. . .but from what I've read in the
archives here - people do use it successfully for this purpose. Any comments
or suggestions would be appreciated.

Shirley